Hormah in the Bible
A city southwest of the Dead Sea
- Numbers 14:45 Then the Amalekites came down, and the Canaanites which dwelt in that hill, and smote them, and discomfited them, even unto Hormah.
- Numbers 21:1-3 And when king Arad the Canaanite, which dwelt in the south, heard tell that Israel came by the way of the spies; then he fought against Israel, and took some of them prisoners. 2 And Israel vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou wilt indeed deliver this people into my hand, then I will utterly destroy their cities. 3 And the LORD hearkened to the voice of Israel, and delivered up the Canaanites; and they utterly destroyed them and their cities: and he called the name of the place Hormah.
- Deuteronomy 1:44 And the Amorites, which dwelt in that mountain, came out against you, and chased you, as bees do, and destroyed you in Seir, even unto Hormah.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for HORMAH.
Captured by the tribes of Judah and Simeon
- Judges 1:17 And Judah went with Simeon his brother, and they slew the Canaanites that inhabited Zephath, and utterly destroyed it. And the name of the city was called Hormah.
- Joshua 12:14 The king of Hormah, one; the king of Arad, one;
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Hormah.
Allotted to the tribe of Simeon
- Joshua 19:4 And Eltolad, and Bethul, and Hormah,
- 1 Chronicles 4:30 And at Bethuel, and at Hormah, and at Ziklag,
Within the territory allotted to Judah
- Joshua 15:30 And Eltolad, and Chesil, and Hormah,
- 1 Samuel 30:30 And to them which were in Hormah, and to them which were in Chorashan, and to them which were in Athach,