Fool in the Bible
General scriptures concerning
- Psalms 5:5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.
- Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
- Psalms 53:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good.
- Psalms 74:18-22 Remember this, that the enemy hath reproached, O LORD, and that the foolish people have blasphemed thy name. 19 O deliver not the soul of thy turtledove unto the multitude of the wicked: forget not the congregation of thy poor for ever. 20 Have respect unto the covenant: for the dark places of the earth are full of the habitations of cruelty. 21 O let not the oppressed return ashamed: let the poor and needy praise thy name. ...
- Psalms 107:17 Fools because of their transgression, and because of their iniquities, are afflicted.
- Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
- Proverbs 1:22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?
- Proverbs 3:35 The wise shall inherit glory: but shame shall be the promotion of fools.
- Proverbs 9:6-8 Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding. 7 He that reproveth a scorner getteth to himself shame: and he that rebuketh a wicked man getteth himself a blot. 8 Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.
- Proverbs 9:13-17 A foolish woman is clamorous: she is simple, and knoweth nothing. 14 For she sitteth at the door of her house, on a seat in the high places of the city, 15 To call passengers who go right on their ways: 16 Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: and as for him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him, ...
- Proverbs 10:1 The proverbs of Solomon. A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish son is the heaviness of his mother.
- Proverbs 10:8 The wise in heart will receive commandments: but a prating fool shall fall.
- Proverbs 10:10 He that winketh with the eye causeth sorrow: but a prating fool shall fall.
- Proverbs 10:13-14 In the lips of him that hath understanding wisdom is found: but a rod is for the back of him that is void of understanding. 14 Wise men lay up knowledge: but the mouth of the foolish is near destruction.
- Proverbs 10:18 He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool.
- Proverbs 10:23 It is as sport to a fool to do mischief: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.
- Proverbs 14:1 Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands.
- Proverbs 14:7-9 Go from the presence of a foolish man, when thou perceivest not in him the lips of knowledge. 8 The wisdom of the prudent is to understand his way: but the folly of fools is deceit. 9 Fools make a mock at sin: but among the righteous there is favour.
- Proverbs 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.
- Proverbs 15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.
- Proverbs 15:20-21 A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish man despiseth his mother. 21 Folly is joy to him that is destitute of wisdom: but a man of understanding walketh uprightly.
- Proverbs 17:24-25 Wisdom is before him that hath understanding; but the eyes of a fool are in the ends of the earth. 25 A foolish son is a grief to his father, and bitterness to her that bare him.
- Proverbs 18:2 A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself.
- Proverbs 18:6-7 A fool's lips enter into contention, and his mouth calleth for strokes. 7 A fool's mouth is his destruction, and his lips are the snare of his soul.
- Proverbs 19:13 A foolish son is the calamity of his father: and the contentions of a wife are a continual dropping.
- Proverbs 20:3 It is an honour for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will be meddling.
- Proverbs 21:20 There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise; but a foolish man spendeth it up.
- Proverbs 26:3-12 A whip for the horse, a bridle for the ass, and a rod for the fool's back. 4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. 5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit. 6 He that sendeth a message by the hand of a fool cutteth off the feet, and drinketh damage. ...
- Proverbs 29:9 If a wise man contendeth with a foolish man, whether he rage or laugh, there is no rest.
- Proverbs 29:11 A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
- Ecclesiastes 4:5 The fool foldeth his hands together, and eateth his own flesh.
- Ecclesiastes 7:9 Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools.
- Ecclesiastes 10:11-15 Surely the serpent will bite without enchantment; and a babbler is no better. 12 The words of a wise man's mouth are gracious; but the lips of a fool will swallow up himself. 13 The beginning of the words of his mouth is foolishness: and the end of his talk is mischievous madness. 14 A fool also is full of words: a man cannot tell what shall be; and what shall be after him, who can tell him? ...
- Matthew 7:26-27 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
- Titus 3:3 For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.
⇒Definition of fool
⇒"Fools" Bible Outline
Of the foolish virgns
- Matthew 25:1-13 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. 2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. 3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: 4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. ...
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Fool.
Of the rich fool
- Luke 12:16-20 And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: 17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? 18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. 19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. ...