Fellowship in the Bible
General scriptures concerning
- Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. 10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. 11 Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? 12 And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
- Also Amos 3:3.
- Genesis 5:22 And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:
- Genesis 5:24 And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.
- Genesis 6:9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.
- Exodus 29:45 And I will dwell among the children of Israel, and will be their God.
- Also Exodus 33:14-17; Leviticus 26:12; Isaiah 57:15; Zechariah 2:10; Mark 9:37; John 14:23; 17:21,23; 2 Corinthians 6:16; 13:11; 1 John 1:3,5-7; 3:24; Revelation 21:3-4.
- Psalms 45:9-16 Kings' daughters were among thy honourable women: upon thy right hand did stand the queen in gold of Ophir. 10 Hearken, O daughter, and consider, and incline thine ear; forget also thine own people, and thy father's house; 11 So shall the king greatly desire thy beauty: for he is thy Lord; and worship thou him. 12 And the daughter of Tyre shall be there with a gift; even the rich among the people shall intreat thy favour. ...
- Also Matthew 12:48-50; 18:20; Mark 9:37; Luke 8:21; 24:32; John 6:51-57; 14:20-23; 15:1-8; 17:21-23,26; Romans 7:4; 8:1,10,17; 11:17; 12:5; 1 Corinthians 1:9; 6:13-15,17; 10:16; 12:12,27; 2 Corinthians 11:2; 13:5; Ephesians 5:30,32; Colossians 1:27; 3:3; 1 Thessalonians 5:9-10; Hebrews 2:11; 1 John 2:6,24,28; 3:6,24; 4:13; 5:12,20; 2 John 1:9; Revelation 3:20.
OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
- Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
- 1 Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
- 2 Corinthians 13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.
See HOLY SPIRIT
OF THE RIGHTEOUS
- Psalms 55:14 We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company.
- Psalms 119:63 I am a companion of all them that fear thee, and of them that keep thy precepts.
- Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?
- Malachi 3:16 Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.
- Also Matthew 17:4; 20:25-28; 23:8; Mark 10:42-45; Luke 22:32; 24:13-15; John 13:34; 15:12; 17:11,21-23; Acts 1:14; 2:1,42,44-47; 17:4; 20:35; Romans 1:12; 14:1-4,10,13-16,18-21; 15:1-7; 1 Corinthians 1:10; 10:16-17; 12:13; 16:19-20; Galatians 2:9; 6:2,10; Ephesians 2:14-22; 5:2,19,30; Philippians 1:3,5,27; 2:1-2; Colossians 2:2; 3:16; 1 Thessalonians 4:18; 5:11,14; Hebrews 3:13; 10:24; 13:1; James 5:16; 1 Peter 2:17; 3:8-9; 1 John 1:3,7; 3:14; 4:7-8,11-13.
WITH THE WICKED
- Genesis 49:6 O my soul, come not thou into their secret; unto their assembly, mine honour, be not thou united: for in their anger they slew a man, and in their selfwill they digged down a wall.
- Exodus 33:15-16 And he said unto him, If thy presence go not with me, carry us not up hence. 16 For wherein shall it be known here that I and thy people have found grace in thy sight? is it not in that thou goest with us? so shall we be separated, I and thy people, from all the people that are upon the face of the earth.
- Exodus 34:13-16 But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their groves: 14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God: 15 Lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go a whoring after their gods, and do sacrifice unto their gods, and one call thee, and thou eat of his sacrifice; 16 And thou take of their daughters unto thy sons, and their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make thy sons go a whoring after their gods.
- Also Numbers 25:1-8; Deuteronomy 31:16-17; Joshua 23:12-13; Ezra 6:21-22; 9:14; Psalms 6:8; 26:4-5; 50:18; 102:6-8; Proverbs 12:11; 28:19; 29:24; 1 Corinthians 5:11; 15:33; 2 Peter 2:18-19; 3:17.
See the following sub-topics
- Numbers 33:56 Moreover it shall come to pass, that I shall do unto you, as I thought to do unto them.
- Joshua 23:13 Know for a certainty that the LORD your God will no more drive out any of these nations from before you; but they shall be snares and traps unto you, and scourges in your sides, and thorns in your eyes, until ye perish from off this good land which the LORD your God hath given you.
- Judges 2:3 Wherefore I also said, I will not drive them out from before you; but they shall be as thorns in your sides, and their gods shall be a snare unto you.
- Judges 3:5-8 And the children of Israel dwelt among the Canaanites, Hittites, and Amorites, and Perizzites, and Hivites, and Jebusites: 6 And they took their daughters to be their wives, and gave their daughters to their sons, and served their gods. 7 And the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the LORD, and forgat the LORD their God, and served Baalim and the groves. 8 Therefore the anger of the LORD was hot against Israel, and he sold them into the hand of Chushanrishathaim king of Mesopotamia: and the children of Israel served Chushanrishathaim eight years.
- Also Ezra 9:7,14; Psalms 106:41-42; Revelation 2:16,22-23.
See COMPANY, EVIL
WITH THE WICKED FORBIDDEN
- Exodus 23:32-33 Thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor with their gods. 33 They shall not dwell in thy land, lest they make thee sin against me: for if thou serve their gods, it will surely be a snare unto thee.
- Exodus 34:12 Take heed to thyself, lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land whither thou goest, lest it be for a snare in the midst of thee:
- Numbers 16:26 And he spake unto the congregation, saying, Depart, I pray you, from the tents of these wicked men, and touch nothing of theirs, lest ye be consumed in all their sins.
- Also Deuteronomy 7:2-4; 12:30; 13:6-11; Joshua 23:6-7,13; Judges 2:2; Ezra 9:1-2,12; 10:11; Psalms 1:1; Proverbs 1:10-15; 4:14-15; 9:6; 14:7; Matthew 18:17; Romans 16:17; 1 Corinthians 5:9-11; 2 Corinthians 6:14-17; Ephesians 5:11; 2 Thessalonians 3:6,14-15; 1 Timothy 6:3-5; 2 Timothy 3:2-7; 2 Peter 3:17; 2 John 1:9-11; Revelation 18:1-4.
THE EVIL OF FELLOWSHIP WITH THE WICKED EXEMPLIFIED
- 1 Kings 11:1-8 But king Solomon loved many strange women, together with the daughter of Pharaoh, women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Zidonians, and Hittites; 2 Of the nations concerning which the LORD said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall not go in to them, neither shall they come in unto you: for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods: Solomon clave unto these in love. 3 And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines: and his wives turned away his heart. 4 For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father. ...
- 1 Kings 12:8-9 But he forsook the counsel of the old men, which they had given him, and consulted with the young men that were grown up with him, and which stood before him: 9 And he said unto them, What counsel give ye that we may answer this people, who have spoken to me, saying, Make the yoke which thy father did put upon us lighter?
- 2 Chronicles 18:3 And Ahab king of Israel said unto Jehoshaphat king of Judah, Wilt thou go with me to Ramothgilead? And he answered him, I am as thou art, and my people as thy people; and we will be with thee in the war.
- 2 Chronicles 19:2 And Jehu the son of Hanani the seer went out to meet him, and said to king Jehoshaphat, Shouldest thou help the ungodly, and love them that hate the LORD? therefore is wrath upon thee from before the LORD.
- 2 Chronicles 20:35-37 And after this did Jehoshaphat king of Judah join himself with Ahaziah king of Israel, who did very wickedly: 36 And he joined himself with him to make ships to go to Tarshish: and they made the ships in Eziongeber. 37 Then Eliezer the son of Dodavah of Mareshah prophesied against Jehoshaphat, saying, Because thou hast joined thyself with Ahaziah, the LORD hath broken thy works. And the ships were broken, that they were not able to go to Tarshish.
- 2 Chronicles 21:6 And he walked in the way of the kings of Israel, like as did the house of Ahab: for he had the daughter of Ahab to wife: and he wrought that which was evil in the eyes of the LORD.
- 2 Chronicles 22:3-5 He also walked in the ways of the house of Ahab: for his mother was his counseller to do wickedly. 4 Wherefore he did evil in the sight of the LORD like the house of Ahab: for they were his counsellers after the death of his father to his destruction. 5 He walked also after their counsel, and went with Jehoram the son of Ahab king of Israel to war against Hazael king of Syria at Ramothgilead: and the Syrians smote Joram.
By the Israelites
- Ezra 9:1-2 Now when these things were done, the princes came to me, saying, The people of Israel, and the priests, and the Levites, have not separated themselves from the people of the lands, doing according to their abominations, even of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Jebusites, the Ammonites, the Moabites, the Egyptians, and the Amorites. 2 For they have taken of their daughters for themselves, and for their sons: so that the holy seed have mingled themselves with the people of those lands: yea, the hand of the princes and rulers hath been chief in this trespass.
- Ezekiel 44:7 In that ye have brought into my sanctuary strangers, uncircumcised in heart, and uncircumcised in flesh, to be in my sanctuary, to pollute it, even my house, when ye offer my bread, the fat and the blood, and they have broken my covenant because of all your abominations.
By Judas Iscariot
- Matthew 26:14-16 Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests, 15 And said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver. 16 And from that time he sought opportunity to betray him.
INSTANCES OF THOSE WHO AVOIDED FELLOWSHIP WITH THE WICKED
Man of God
- 1 Kings 13:7-10 And the king said unto the man of God, Come home with me, and refresh thyself, and I will give thee a reward. 8 And the man of God said unto the king, If thou wilt give me half thine house, I will not go in with thee, neither will I eat bread nor drink water in this place: 9 For so was it charged me by the word of the LORD, saying, Eat no bread, nor drink water, nor turn again by the same way that thou camest. 10 So he went another way, and returned not by the way that he came to Bethel.
- Nehemiah 6:2-4 That Sanballat and Geshem sent unto me, saying, Come, let us meet together in some one of the villages in the plain of Ono. But they thought to do me mischief. 3 And I sent messengers unto them, saying, I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down: why should the work cease, whilst I leave it, and come down to you? 4 Yet they sent unto me four times after this sort; and I answered them after the same manner.
- Nehemiah 10:29-31 They clave to their brethren, their nobles, and entered into a curse, and into an oath, to walk in God's law, which was given by Moses the servant of God, and to observe and do all the commandments of the LORD our Lord, and his judgments and his statutes; 30 And that we would not give our daughters unto the people of the land, nor take their daughters for our sons: 31 And if the people of the land bring ware or any victuals on the sabbath day to sell, that we would not buy it of them on the sabbath, or on the holy day: and that we would leave the seventh year, and the exaction of every debt.
- Psalms 101:4-7 A froward heart shall depart from me: I will not know a wicked person. 5 Whoso privily slandereth his neighbour, him will I cut off: him that hath an high look and a proud heart will not I suffer. 6 Mine eyes shall be upon the faithful of the land, that they may dwell with me: he that walketh in a perfect way, he shall serve me. 7 He that worketh deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight.
- Also Psalms 119:115.
- Jeremiah 15:17 I sat not in the assembly of the mockers, nor rejoiced; I sat alone because of thy hand: for thou hast filled me with indignation.
Joseph of Arimathaea
- Luke 23:51 (The same had not consented to the counsel and deed of them;) he was of Arimathaea, a city of the Jews: who also himself waited for the kingdom of God.
Church of Ephesus
- Revelation 2:6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
See COMPANY, EVIL
See INFLUENCE, EVIL