Etam in the Bible
1. A village of Simeon
- 1 Chronicles 4:32 And their villages were, Etam, and Ain, Rimmon, and Tochen, and Ashan, five cities:
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for ETAM.
2. A city in Judah
- 2 Chronicles 11:6 He built even Bethlehem, and Etam, and Tekoa,
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Etam.
3. A name on the list of Judah's descendants, but probably referring to number two
- 1 Chronicles 4:3 And these were of the father of Etam; Jezreel, and Ishma, and Idbash: and the name of their sister was Hazelelponi:
4. A rock where Samson was bound and delivered to the Philistines
- Judges 15:8 And he smote them hip and thigh with a great slaughter: and he went down and dwelt in the top of the rock Etam.
- Judges 15:11-13 Then three thousand men of Judah went to the top of the rock Etam, and said to Samson, Knowest thou not that the Philistines are rulers over us? what is this that thou hast done unto us? And he said unto them, As they did unto me, so have I done unto them. 12 And they said unto him, We are come down to bind thee, that we may deliver thee into the hand of the Philistines. And Samson said unto them, Swear unto me, that ye will not fall upon me yourselves. 13 And they spake unto him, saying, No; but we will bind thee fast, and deliver thee into their hand: but surely we will not kill thee. And they bound him with two new cords, and brought him up from the rock.