Ephratah in the Bible
1. Also called EPHRATH
The ancient name of Beth-lehem-judah
- Genesis 35:16 And they journeyed from Bethel; and there was but a little way to come to Ephrath: and Rachel travailed, and she had hard labour.
- Genesis 35:19 And Rachel died, and was buried in the way to Ephrath, which is Bethlehem.
- Genesis 48:7 And as for me, when I came from Padan, Rachel died by me in the land of Canaan in the way, when yet there was but a little way to come unto Ephrath: and I buried her there in the way of Ephrath; the same is Bethlehem.
- Ruth 4:11 And all the people that were in the gate, and the elders, said, We are witnesses. The LORD make the woman that is come into thine house like Rachel and like Leah, which two did build the house of Israel: and do thou worthily in Ephratah, and be famous in Bethlehem:
- Psalms 132:6 Lo, we heard of it at Ephratah: we found it in the fields of the wood.
- Micah 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Ephratah.
2. Second wife of Caleb, mother of Hur
- 1 Chronicles 2:19 And when Azubah was dead, Caleb took unto him Ephrath, which bare him Hur.
- 1 Chronicles 2:50 These were the sons of Caleb the son of Hur, the firstborn of Ephratah; Shobal the father of Kirjathjearim,
- 1 Chronicles 4:4 And Penuel the father of Gedor, and Ezer the father of Hushah. These are the sons of Hur, the firstborn of Ephratah, the father of Bethlehem.