Breastplate in the Bible
1. For high priest
- Exodus 25:7 Onyx stones, and stones to be set in the ephod, and in the breastplate.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for BREASTPLATE.
Directions for the making of
- Exodus 28:15-30 And thou shalt make the breastplate of judgment with cunning work; after the work of the ephod thou shalt make it; of gold, of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine twined linen, shalt thou make it. 16 Foursquare it shall be being doubled; a span shall be the length thereof, and a span shall be the breadth thereof. 17 And thou shalt set in it settings of stones, even four rows of stones: the first row shall be a sardius, a topaz, and a carbuncle: this shall be the first row. 18 And the second row shall be an emerald, a sapphire, and a diamond. ...
⇒Definition of breastplate
Made by Bezaleel
- Exodus 39:8 And he made the breastplate of cunning work, like the work of the ephod; of gold, blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined linen.
- Exodus 39:21 And they did bind the breastplate by his rings unto the rings of the ephod with a lace of blue, that it might be above the curious girdle of the ephod, and that the breastplate might not be loosed from the ephod; as the LORD commanded Moses.
⇒"Breastplate" Bible Outline
Freewill offering of materials for
- Exodus 35:9 And onyx stones, and stones to be set for the ephod, and for the breastplate.
- Exodus 35:27 And the rulers brought onyx stones, and stones to be set, for the ephod, and for the breastplate;
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Breastplate.
Worn by Aaron
- Exodus 29:5 And thou shalt take the garments, and put upon Aaron the coat, and the robe of the ephod, and the ephod, and the breastplate, and gird him with the curious girdle of the ephod:
- Leviticus 8:8 And he put the breastplate upon him: also he put in the breastplate the Urim and the Thummim.
2. Armor for soldiers
- Revelation 9:9 And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle.
- Revelation 9:17 And thus I saw the horses in the vision, and them that sat on them, having breastplates of fire, and of jacinth, and brimstone: and the heads of the horses were as the heads of lions; and out of their mouths issued fire and smoke and brimstone.
- Isaiah 59:17 For he put on righteousness as a breastplate, and an helmet of salvation upon his head; and he put on the garments of vengeance for clothing, and was clad with zeal as a cloke.
- Ephesians 6:14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
- 1 Thessalonians 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.