Bilhah in the Bible
1. Rachael's servant
Bears children by Jacob
- Genesis 29:29 And Laban gave to Rachel his daughter Bilhah his handmaid to be her maid.
- Genesis 30:3-4 And she said, Behold my maid Bilhah, go in unto her; and she shall bear upon my knees, that I may also have children by her. 4 And she gave him Bilhah her handmaid to wife: and Jacob went in unto her.
- Genesis 37:2 These are the generations of Jacob. Joseph, being seventeen years old, was feeding the flock with his brethren; and the lad was with the sons of Bilhah, and with the sons of Zilpah, his father's wives: and Joseph brought unto his father their evil report.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Bilhah.
Mother of Dan and Naphtali
- Genesis 30:1-8 And when Rachel saw that she bare Jacob no children, Rachel envied her sister; and said unto Jacob, Give me children, or else I die. 2 And Jacob's anger was kindled against Rachel: and he said, Am I in God's stead, who hath withheld from thee the fruit of the womb? 3 And she said, Behold my maid Bilhah, go in unto her; and she shall bear upon my knees, that I may also have children by her. 4 And she gave him Bilhah her handmaid to wife: and Jacob went in unto her. ...
- Genesis 35:25 And the sons of Bilhah, Rachel's handmaid; Dan, and Naphtali:
- Genesis 46:23-25 And the sons of Dan; Hushim. 24 And the sons of Naphtali; Jahzeel, and Guni, and Jezer, and Shillem. 25 These are the sons of Bilhah, which Laban gave unto Rachel his daughter, and she bare these unto Jacob: all the souls were seven.
Reuben's incest with
- Genesis 35:22 And it came to pass, when Israel dwelt in that land, that Reuben went and lay with Bilhah his father's concubine: and Israel heard it. Now the sons of Jacob were twelve:
- Genesis 49:4 Unstable as water, thou shalt not excel; because thou wentest up to thy father's bed; then defiledst thou it: he went up to my couch.
2. A place in the land of Simeon
- 1 Chronicles 4:29 And at Bilhah, and at Ezem, and at Tolad,
- Joshua 19:3 And Hazarshual, and Balah, and Azem,
- Joshua 15:29 Baalah, and Iim, and Azem,