Bastard in the Bible
(An illegitimate child) Excluded from the congregation
- Deuteronomy 23:2 A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for BASTARD.
⇒Definition of bastard
- Genesis 16:3 And Sarai Abram's wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife.
- Genesis 16:15 And Hagar bare Abram a son: and Abram called his son's name, which Hagar bare, Ishmael.
- Galatians 4:22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Bastard.
Moab and Ammon
- Genesis 19:36-37 Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father. 37 And the firstborn bare a son, and called his name Moab: the same is the father of the Moabites unto this day.
- Judges 11:1 Now Jephthah the Gileadite was a mighty man of valour, and he was the son of an harlot: and Gilead begat Jephthah.
David's child by Bath-sheba
- 2 Samuel 11:2-5 And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king's house: and from the roof he saw a woman washing herself; and the woman was very beautiful to look upon. 3 And David sent and inquired after the woman. And one said, Is not this Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite? 4 And David sent messengers, and took her; and she came in unto him, and he lay with her; for she was purified from her uncleanness: and she returned unto her house. 5 And the woman conceived, and sent and told David, and said, I am with child.
- Zechariah 9:6 And a bastard shall dwell in Ashdod, and I will cut off the pride of the Philistines.
- Hebrews 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.