Aroer in the Bible
1. A city of the Amorites in the valley of the river Arnon
- Deuteronomy 4:48 From Aroer, which is by the bank of the river Arnon, even unto mount Sion, which is Hermon,
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for AROER.
Conquered by Israelites
- Deuteronomy 2:36 From Aroer, which is by the brink of the river of Arnon, and from the city that is by the river, even unto Gilead, there was not one city too strong for us: the LORD our God delivered all unto us:
- Deuteronomy 3:12 And this land, which we possessed at that time, from Aroer, which is by the river Arnon, and half mount Gilead, and the cities thereof, gave I unto the Reubenites and to the Gadites.
- Judges 11:26 While Israel dwelt in Heshbon and her towns, and in Aroer and her towns, and in all the cities that be along by the coasts of Arnon, three hundred years? why therefore did ye not recover them within that time?
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Aroer.
Taken by Hazael
- 2 Kings 10:33 From Jordan eastward, all the land of Gilead, the Gadites, and the Reubenites, and the Manassites, from Aroer, which is by the river Arnon, even Gilead and Bashan.
2. A city built, or, probably more correctly, rebuilt, by the Gadites
- Numbers 32:34 And the children of Gad built Dibon, and Ataroth, and Aroer,
- Joshua 13:25 And their coast was Jazer, and all the cities of Gilead, and half the land of the children of Ammon, unto Aroer that is before Rabbah;
Jephthah smites the Ammonites at
- Judges 11:33 And he smote them from Aroer, even till thou come to Minnith, even twenty cities, and unto the plain of the vineyards, with a very great slaughter. Thus the children of Ammon were subdued before the children of Israel.
3. A city in Judah
- 1 Samuel 30:28 And to them which were in Aroer, and to them which were in Siphmoth, and to them which were in Eshtemoa,
The birthplace of two of David's heroes
- 1 Chronicles 11:44 Uzzia the Ashterathite, Shama and Jehiel the sons of Hothan the Aroerite,