Anger in the Bible
General scriptures concerning
- Genesis 4:6 And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
- Genesis 49:7 Cursed be their anger, for it was fierce; and their wrath, for it was cruel: I will divide them in Jacob, and scatter them in Israel.
- 2 Chronicles 28:9 But a prophet of the LORD was there, whose name was Oded: and he went out before the host that came to Samaria, and said unto them, Behold, because the LORD God of your fathers was wroth with Judah, he hath delivered them into your hand, and ye have slain them in a rage that reacheth up unto heaven.
- Job 5:2 For wrath killeth the foolish man, and envy slayeth the silly one.
- Also Job 19:29; Psalms 37:8; 55:3; 76:10; Proverbs 6:34; 12:16; 14:17,29; 15:1,18; 16:14,29,32; 17:14; 19:11-12,19; 21:24; 22:24-25; 25:28; 27:3-4; 29:8-9,22; 30:33; Ecclesiastes 7:9; Hosea 7:16; Amos 1:11; Jonah 4:4; Matthew 5:22; 2 Corinthians 12:20; Galatians 5:19-21; Ephesians 4:26,31; Colossians 3:8; 1 Timothy 2:8; Titus 1:7; James 1:19-20.
See SPEAKING, EVIL
Of Cain slaying Abel
- Genesis 4:5-8 But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell. 6 And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? 7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him. 8 And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.
Simeon and Levi, on account of the humbling of their sister, Dinah
- Genesis 49:5-7 Simeon and Levi are brethren; instruments of cruelty are in their habitations. 6 O my soul, come not thou into their secret; unto their assembly, mine honour, be not thou united: for in their anger they slew a man, and in their selfwill they digged down a wall. 7 Cursed be their anger, for it was fierce; and their wrath, for it was cruel: I will divide them in Jacob, and scatter them in Israel.
Pharaoh, toward Moses
- Exodus 10:11 Not so: go now ye that are men, and serve the LORD; for that ye did desire. And they were driven out from Pharaoh's presence.
- Exodus 10:28 And Pharaoh said unto him, Get thee from me, take heed to thyself, see my face no more; for in that day thou seest my face thou shalt die.
Moses, toward Pharaoh
- Exodus 11:8 And all these thy servants shall come down unto me, and bow down themselves unto me, saying, Get thee out, and all the people that follow thee: and after that I will go out. And he went out from Pharaoh in a great anger.
- Numbers 20:10-11 And Moses and Aaron gathered the congregation together before the rock, and he said unto them, Hear now, ye rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock? 11 And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts also.
Balaam, toward his ass
- Numbers 22:27 And when the ass saw the angel of the LORD, she fell down under Balaam: and Balaam's anger was kindled, and he smote the ass with a staff.
- Numbers 22:29 And Balaam said unto the ass, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee.
Balak, toward Balaam
- Numbers 24:10-11 And Balak's anger was kindled against Balaam, and he smote his hands together: and Balak said unto Balaam, I called thee to curse mine enemies, and, behold, thou hast altogether blessed them these three times. 11 Therefore now flee thou to thy place: I thought to promote thee unto great honour; but, lo, the LORD hath kept thee back from honour.
Ephraimites, toward Gideon, for not soliciting their help against the Midianites
- Judges 8:1 And the men of Ephraim said unto him, Why hast thou served us thus, that thou calledst us not, when thou wentest to fight with the Midianites? And they did chide with him sharply.
Jonathan, on account of Saul's persecution of David
- 1 Samuel 20:34 So Jonathan arose from the table in fierce anger, and did eat no meat the second day of the month: for he was grieved for David, because his father had done him shame.
- 2 Chronicles 25:10 Then Amaziah separated them, to wit, the army that was come to him out of Ephraim, to go home again: wherefore their anger was greatly kindled against Judah, and they returned home in great anger.
Saul, toward Jonathan, on account of his sympathy with David
- 1 Samuel 20:30-34 Then Saul's anger was kindled against Jonathan, and he said unto him, Thou son of the perverse rebellious woman, do not I know that thou hast chosen the son of Jesse to thine own confusion, and unto the confusion of thy mother's nakedness? 31 For as long as the son of Jesse liveth upon the ground, thou shalt not be established, nor thy kingdom. Wherefore now send and fetch him unto me, for he shall surely die. 32 And Jonathan answered Saul his father, and said unto him, Wherefore shall he be slain? what hath he done? 33 And Saul cast a javelin at him to smite him: whereby Jonathan knew that it was determined of his father to slay David. ...
Ahab, because Naboth would not sell his vineyard
- 1 Kings 21:4 And Ahab came into his house heavy and displeased because of the word which Naboth the Jezreelite had spoken to him: for he had said, I will not give thee the inheritance of my fathers. And he laid him down upon his bed, and turned away his face, and would eat no bread.
Naaman, because Elisha directed him to wash in the Jordan
- 2 Kings 5:12 Are not Abana and Pharpar, rivers of Damascus, better than all the waters of Israel? may I not wash in them, and be clean? So he turned and went away in a rage.
Asa, because the prophet rebuked him
- 2 Chronicles 16:10 Then Asa was wroth with the seer, and put him in a prison house; for he was in a rage with him because of this thing. And Asa oppressed some of the people the same time.
Uzziah toward Azariah, the priest, because of his reproof of
- 2 Chronicles 26:19 Then Uzziah was wroth, and had a censer in his hand to burn incense: and while he was wroth with the priests, the leprosy even rose up in his forehead before the priests in the house of the LORD, from beside the incense altar.
Ahasuerus, toward Vashti, for refusing to amuse his courtiers
- Esther 1:12 But the queen Vashti refused to come at the king's commandment by his chamberlains: therefore was the king very wroth, and his anger burned in him.
- Esther 7:7 And the king arising from the banquet of wine in his wrath went into the palace garden: and Haman stood up to make request for his life to Esther the queen; for he saw that there was evil determined against him by the king.
Haman, because Mordecai did not salute him
- Esther 3:5 And when Haman saw that Mordecai bowed not, nor did him reverence, then was Haman full of wrath.
Elihu, because Job had beaten his friends in argument
- Job 32:3 Also against his three friends was his wrath kindled, because they had found no answer, and yet had condemned Job.
- Isaiah 16:6 We have heard of the pride of Moab; he is very proud: even of his haughtiness, and his pride, and his wrath: but his lies shall not be so.
Nebuchadnezzar, on account of the insubordination of the three Hebrews, who refused to worship his idol
- Daniel 3:13 Then Nebuchadnezzar in his rage and fury commanded to bring Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. Then they brought these men before the king.
- Daniel 3:19 Then was Nebuchadnezzar full of fury, and the form of his visage was changed against Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego: therefore he spake, and commanded that they should heat the furnace one seven times more than it was wont to be heated.
Jonah, because the gourd withered
- Jonah 4:1-2 But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was very angry. 2 And he prayed unto the LORD, and said, I pray thee, O LORD, was not this my saying, when I was yet in my country? Therefore I fled before unto Tarshish: for I knew that thou art a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repentest thee of the evil.
- Jonah 4:4 Then said the LORD, Doest thou well to be angry?
- Jonah 4:9 And God said to Jonah, Doest thou well to be angry for the gourd? And he said, I do well to be angry, even unto death.
Herod, toward the wise men who deceived him
- Matthew 2:16 Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently inquired of the wise men.
The people of Nazareth, toward Jesus
- Luke 4:28 And all they in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath,
Paul, toward Ananias
- Acts 23:3 Then said Paul unto him, God shall smite thee, thou whited wall: for sittest thou to judge me after the law, and commandest me to be smitten contrary to the law?
Jews, against Stephen
- Acts 7:54-58 When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth. 55 But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, 56 And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God. 57 Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord, ...
ANGER OF GOD
- Exodus 22:24 And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.
- Exodus 32:10 Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation.
- Exodus 33:5 For the LORD had said unto Moses, Say unto the children of Israel, Ye are a stiffnecked people: I will come up into the midst of thee in a moment, and consume thee: therefore now put off thy ornaments from thee, that I may know what to do unto thee.
- Numbers 11:1 And when the people complained, it displeased the LORD: and the LORD heard it; and his anger was kindled; and the fire of the LORD burnt among them, and consumed them that were in the uttermost parts of the camp.
- Also Numbers 11:10,33; 12:9; 14:11; 16:20-21,45; 25:3-4,11; 32:10-11,13; Deuteronomy 6:14-15; 9:13-14,18-20; 32:21-22; Joshua 7:1,26; 23:16; Judges 2:12; 3:8; 10:7; 1 Samuel 28:18; 2 Samuel 6:7; 22:8-9; 1 Kings 11:9; 16:2-13; 2 Kings 13:3; 17:18; 22:13; 23:26; Psalms 7:11; 69:24; 74:1; 76:7; 78:21,38,49-50; 85:3; 90:11; 103:8; 106:23,29,32; 110:5; Isaiah 5:25; 9:17,19,21; 12:1; 13:9,13; 30:27; 42:25; 48:9; 57:16-17; 63:3-6; 66:15; Jeremiah 3:12; 4:4,8,26; 7:20; 10:10; 17:4; 21:5-6; 23:20; 25:15-17,37-38; 30:24; 32:37; 33:5; 36:7; 42:18; 44:6; 51:45; Lamentations 2:1,3,6; 4:11; Ezekiel 5:13,15; 25:14-17; Daniel 9:16; Hosea 11:9; 13:11; 14:4; Nahum 1:2-3,6; Matthew 22:7,13; Romans 1:18; 2:5; Ephesians 5:6; Colossians 3:6; Hebrews 3:11; 4:3; Revelation 6:16-17; 14:10-11; 15:1,7; 16:19; 19:15.