Andrew in the Bible
An apostle. A fisherman
- Matthew 4:18 And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for ANDREW.
- John 1:44 Now Philip was of Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Andrew.
A disciple of John
- John 1:40 One of the two which heard John speak, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother.
Finds Peter, his brother, and brings him to Jesus
- John 1:40-42 One of the two which heard John speak, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He first findeth his own brother Simon, and saith unto him, We have found the Messias, which is, being interpreted, the Christ. 42 And he brought him to Jesus. And when Jesus beheld him, he said, Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas, which is by interpretation, A stone.
- Matthew 4:19 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
- Mark 1:16 Now as he walked by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.
His name appears in the list of the apostles in
- Matthew 10:2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother;
- Mark 3:18 And Andrew, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus, and Simon the Canaanite,
- Luke 6:14 Simon, (whom he also named Peter,) and Andrew his brother, James and John, Philip and Bartholomew,
Asks the Master privately about the destruction of the temple
- Mark 13:3-4 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives over against the temple, Peter and James and John and Andrew asked him privately, 4 Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign when all these things shall be fulfilled?
Tells Jesus of the Greeks who sought to see him
- John 12:20-22 And there were certain Greeks among them that came up to worship at the feast: 21 The same came therefore to Philip, which was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and desired him, saying, Sir, we would see Jesus. 22 Philip cometh and telleth Andrew: and again Andrew and Philip tell Jesus.
Reports the number of loaves at the feeding of the five thousand
- John 6:8 One of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, saith unto him,
Meets with the disciples after the Lord's ascension
- Acts 1:13 And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.